For as long as I can remember, I've been a lover of hats. Big, little, floppy, felt, straw...I've tried them all. All it takes is a little confidence and the right hat, and you've got yourself a definite "do".
Below are the top five reasons I think you should sport hats this summer!
1. Sun protection. This is an obvious one, but it's so true! I've told Zach many times that if I could go back and change one thing in my youth it would be to take better care of my skin. I played golf in college, so I spent countless hours in the sun for years. Most of the time I wore little or no sunscreen, causing lots of freckles and sunspots on my shoulders and face. What I would do to go back and actually wear a hat and sunscreen! Hats can be a huge protector of your face in the sun, and I'm rarely outside for very long periods without one anymore.
2. When you want to minimalize accessories. In the age of statement necklaces and arm candy, sometimes stacking on the jewelry can be exhausting and feel like a little much. A hat is a simple solution because it makes such a statement by itself, that little to no other accessories are necessary. If I'm wearing a hat like the one pictured above, I'll usually skip earrings and just wear a gold watch or simple bracelet. And it's a nice break for my ears and wrists!
3. Bad hair day. This is an obvious one, but also possibly the most important. Day two or three with no-wash hair is usually not a good look for most, so skip the dry shampoo and put on a cute hat!
4. When you need a confidence boost. Let's face it, some days you just aren't boiling over with excitement to head out to work, on a date, or to your ten year class reunion. Throwing on a hat can add a lot of interest to your look, and chances are you'll get some compliments wherever you go. This will not only uplift your mood, but hopefully encourage you to compliment others as well.
5. Add interest to your wardrobe. Sometimes, due to monotony of our daily routines, our wardrobe can get a bit, well, boring. I'm certainly no exception. I often find this happening to me, so I'll start to wear a hat here and there and it feels like I'm branching out and trying new things with fashion, which I enjoy. It's also fun to pick a hat and plan an outfit around it; the options are endless!
Here are some of my favorite hats to wear by the pool, at the park, or at your next summer BBQ. Don't be afraid to experiment with different fabrics; for example, felt hats in the summer actually really work when paired with the right outfit. And #8 is on sale!