While it still feels very much like summer in Houston, Texas and fall feels years away let alone spring, I can't help but be excited over all the upcoming trends I saw on the runways at NYFW. From bold stripes to somewhat startling bathrobes, there was something for everyone. As fall & winter clothing take over department stores, now is the time to snag spring and summer staples on major sale. When warmer weather rolls around again, you'll be so glad you did! Here are some runway looks you can easily incorporate into your own wardrobe:
1. Banker Stripes- Inspired by Wall Street but chic enough to roam the likes of Fifth Avenue, these classic stripes have been tweaked to fit even the most ladylike of wardrobes. To create your own look at home, pair a menswear inspired shirt like this one with white jeans and wedges.
2. Off One Shoulder- Fashion's obsession with showing some shoulder rages on, and this spring it's all about exposing one shoulder versus both. Embrace your inner Flashdance and let all your 80's fashion dreams come true. Maybe not all of them- some were left behind with good reason.
3. Sleeve Slits- You can tell by the photos above that I'm already loving this style; a cape blazer is a fun play on the up-and-coming trend. Tons of designers from Michael Kors to Lacoste debuted sleeves with slits and waved a farewell to last year's popular bell sleeve.
4. White Shirt Dresses- Interesting waistlines and unexpected hemlines are taking this closet staple from basic to statement. This is one piece that never truly goes out of style, and designers have made the perfect tweaks for spring 2017. Here's an adorable one that would work for this fall as well as the spring!
5. Not-So-Mellow Yellow- Y'all know I love wearing this bright, cheery shade, but I realize not everyone feels the same. As a stylist, one of my biggest challenges is getting clients to step outside of their "color" box. Everyone from Marissa Webb to Tibi had a look in this sunny hue, and there's one for every skin tone.
Some honorable mentions include: crop tops, fiery red dresses (love when you can sum up a fashion trend with a single emoji), over the top statement earrings, comfy white sweatshirts, and silvery metallics (nice to see a change from gold everything the past several seasons).
Anyone else in a serious Monday funk?! Bear and I slept until 10am and have been somewhat unproductive ever since. Well, Bear has been very productive if you count building Lego towers and successfully blending all 20 colors of Play Doh we own. Our kitchen looks like some kind of wild rainbow bomb went off. I seriously need some of his energy (though I'm beginning to think it takes more energy to clean the mess than to actually create it).
Hope your week is off to a great start!