A few weeks ago, I met my sweet friend Angela for brunch at Levure Bakery, one of our favorite spots to grab a delicious latte and catch up on all things "mommy blogger". Brunch has become my favorite meal, probably because I sleep too late most days to warrant breakfast yet still don't want to miss out on the deliciousness that is chicken & waffles and french toast. The city of Houston is overflowing with amazing brunch joints, but they're a little harder to come by up in our neck of the woods. After living in The Woodlands area for going on five years, Zach and I have finally figured out our very favorite spots to grab the best Sunday (or any day!) brunch.
1. Levure Bakery- As stated above, Levure is the place to go if you want the best latte in town. You'll think you've traveled to Paris, sipping your cappuccino from a white marble table with the aroma of sweet cinnamon rolls, which happen to be the size of a dinner plate, filling the air. The atmosphere alone is worth the trip to Levure, but I prefer to skip breakfast entrees and go right for the Quatre Fromage (basically a grilled cheese sandwich on crack). Be sure and arrive early, around 8 or 9am, so ensure a seat. There's usually a 10am rush, even on weekdays.
2. Black Walnut Cafe- As far as variety goes, Black Walnut takes the literal cake. There's something for everyone, from giant summer salads to lobster alfredo. This is a great spot for kids, too, as it has eight different options, all with healthy side choices. Bear loves going to Black Walnut and of course wants a grilled cheese and french fries every time (what healthy sides). Don't forget to grab a pistachio gelato on your way out!
3. Ruggles Green- For the health conscious, this hip new joint is a must-try. Most of the menu items are locally grown, mostly organic, and even from farmer's markets, as the Houston-based chain prides themselves on being "the greenest restaurants in Texas". I'm not much of a healthy eater, but I'm obsessed with Ruggles Wood-Fired Quinoa Mac 'n Cheese- I can do healthy-ish if it involves mac 'n cheese! Other fan favorites are the Spicy Fish Tacos and Goat Cheese Salad.
4. Hubbell & Hudson- For the very best fried chicken & waffles, this is your one stop shop. Even early risers can enjoy beating the crowds, as Hubbell & Hudson opens it's doors at 7am daily. The atmosphere in this cool kitchen feels very 1960's-esque and right out of a Mad Men scene. The Texas Breakfast is also a customer favorite, along with the Pork Carnitas Benedict (Zach's favorite!).
5. Tommy Bahama- Escape to a tropical island at this upscale paradise in the middle of Market Street. The doors don't open until 11am daily, making it a later option for the brunch crowd, but just as delicious nonetheless. We go here for the atmosphere alone- the beautiful garden room hosts floor to ceiling windows overlooking the Market Street lawn. For the best people watching, grab a table on the patio and sip on Bahia Sangria. My very favorite menu item is the World Famous Coconut Shrimp- I'm dying to get my hands on the recipe for the Papaya Mango Chutney sauce that's served with it.
I'm headed to bed because we're getting up early tomorrow to go sign Bear up for t-ball! He seems pretty excited about it which makes this Mama happy- soccer wasn't exactly his favorite thing ever and I hope he'll enjoy the baseball world a little bit more. I'll keep you posted! :)