I know what you're probably thinking- this outfit is not at all fall-ish and very much all summer! And you'd be correct; we actually took these pictures back in early June and I'm just now getting around to posting them (insert the monkey covering his eyes emoji here). The only pieces in this outfit that transition well into fall are the top (3/4 sleeves are perfect for in between seasons!) and the Shelly bag from Elaine Turner that comes in three other more fall-ish colors/prints that also all happen to be on sale! I realize that it's still a thousand degrees in Houston and fall is a far cry from being upon us, but every year when August hits, I get the itch to bust out the sweaters and OTK boots. Anyone else?!
Rather than having a heat stroke, there are more practical ways of incorporating autumn items into our wardrobes. As the weather does start to cool off in the mornings and at night but remains warm during the day, it's also important to dress in light layers and have a solid "transitional closet" that works well between seasons. These pieces are also great investment pieces because they typically never go out of style and you'll find yourself wearing them more than expected. It's also not too late to stock up on Nordstrom Sale items like this cardigan that's perfect for light layering!
As a stylist, I'm often asked how to put together looks that aren't too summery as back-to-school time rolls around. I'll share some of my favorite ways to move from summer into fall fashion!
1. Invest in a good pair of peep toe booties. These will be your best friend August-November and March-May (depending on where you live, of course). Wear them with jeans, dresses, even shorts! They're a great staple and best in a neutral color like this pair.
2. Mix florals with leather. Think floral print dresses with booties, a floral top with a brown leather skirt, etc. Mixing more "masculine" pieces in with your feminine prints gives an outfit more fall vibes.
3. Throw on a denim or moto jacket. Don't pack away those summer dresses just yet- even eyelet lace can make an early fall appearance when paired with the right jacket! Just don't opt for sandals with this look- go for booties, flats, or over the knee boots.
4. Wear a turtleneck. Forget about your 1993 school picture wearing an oversized turtleneck and bangs that rose out of the frame. I'm talking about a fitted, chic turtleneck that is another way to stretch out the wear on those summer dresses we all love so much. Putting a slim black turtleneck under a sleeveless dress has such a sophisticated feel- it's also great work wear for the girl on the go.
5. Vest it up. A faux fur vest can be worn endless ways but for a transitional look, try it over a white blouse and dark wash jeans. Wear your peep-toe booties or pumps to show the world you realize it's not fall quite yet, even though we're all ready.
Thank you so much for stopping by! I just caught up on responding to past post comments and I can't tell you how much they mean to me. I love hearing from y'all- it makes my day!