Being a mom is the most rewarding yet challenging job I’ve ever had. While I always love being Mommy to Bear and Boone, there are moments when my patience is reeeeeally tested and I am a far cry from June Cleaver. My friends know I’m perpetually 15 minutes late everywhere I go, and chances are I’ve forgotten something important (like the diapers or my sanity) once I actually get there.
But despite the serious Mom Brain that I deal with on a daily basis, I’ve actually learned a few things along the way these past 6+ years. Motherhood isn’t all unicorns and rainbows, but the good outweighs the bad by a landslide. That doesn’t mean we can’t laugh about all the mishaps along the way (once we’re done crying over them)…
5 Things I’ve Learned Since Becoming a Mom:
1. Sleep is more valuable than gold. Everyone warns you before you have kids things like, “Rest while you can!” and “You’ll never get a good night’s sleep again!” and I have to admit, I did some eye-rolling at this pre-kids. While it’s not entirely true (Bear's always been a great sleeper so I was spoiled before Boone), there’s still significant amounts of truth to the fact that you sleep a lot less once you have kids. Even if your kids are great sleepers, you’re still so busy once you have kids and thus exhausted when your head hits the pillow. On the rare occasion that your child sleeps until 9am, it’s worth celebrating because Lord knows when you’ll get that much sleep again.
2. Payback is a you-know-what. It’s a joke in my family that I was always a “meddler”- I was into eeeeeeverything all the time. I stayed at my grandparents’ house quite a bit when I was little and my grandma says that I was surprisingly easy to watch because I’d just spend hours going through her drawers and closets looking at everything. Now I have Boonester, who meddles in anything he can get his hands on. No drawer, closet, or pantry is safe…and I know I’m just paying for my raising.
3. Time flies. Another saying you hear constantly prior to having kids, but another one that rings true. The days seem so slow sometimes, but you look back and wonder where the years went. I cannot believe that Bear is 6 1/2 years old. Just typing it out baffles me because in my mind, I gave birth to him tops 2 years ago. And Boone? He will be a year old in less than 2 weeks and I can’t even talk about it. It’s such a bittersweet feeling to watch them grow and feel so proud of the good humans they’re becoming, while also wishing they could stay little forever.
4. Silence is magical. You learn to enjoy things like sitting in carpool line for 45 minutes, just soaking up the calm before the storm. You regret taking for granted all the times you got to pee in silence without a child tugging on your leg or yelling “MOMMY!” from the next room. Peace and quiet are a thing of the past, and you miss them. But as soon as you go on that highly anticipated and overdue date night? You miss the sound of your little munchkins and talk about them the entire time.
5. It’s worth it. No matter how many times a day you want to pull your hair out, or how many brand new shirts get stained with spit-up, or how many nights you don’t sleep a wink because you’re taking care of a sick child, you wouldn’t trade any of it for anything in the world. Sure, your kids might be little crazies at times but they’re your little crazies, and you love them more than anything.
I’m pretty sure I was just writing a nine month update a couple days ago…how has another month already passed? I guess it’s true that time flies when you’re having fun, and we have LOTS of fun with this sweet boy! Boone is a happy, laid-back baby who adores his brother, spinach ravioli, and bath time. I’m in denial that he will be ONE next month (he technically turned 10 months on December 24th) and need to start party planning. If you have any cute theme ideas, please let me know! In the meantime I’ll be over here trying to slow down time.
Things to remember:
-Boone is a busy boy and loves to meddle in things, especially the pantry. I have been working on organizing it for the past week and the bottom two shelves are hopeless with the Boonester on the loose.
-Boone likes almost any food we give him, with his current favorite being the Gerber past meals (turkey+spinach ravioli are his jam).
-He is still breastfeeding 5-6 times a day and a couple of times during the night. He definitely likes to eat! He hasn’t ever taken a bottle but when he’s able to drink regular milk at a year, we will give him that in a sippy cup (which he loves drinking water out of).
-Boone is still obsessed with Bear and thinks he’s hilarious. Every day when we pick Bear up from school, Boone start talking and laughing the minute Bear gets in the car. It’s so cute and makes my mama heart happy. Bear loves his baby brother, too!
-We are still co-sleeping but I’m finally considering moving Boone into his crib. I go back and forth on this and have reasons for wanting both, so we shall see. I do love snuggling with him and even though Bear co-slept until age 4, he’s a great sleeper and the transition to a big boy bed was easy.
-Boone is in size 12-18 month clothes and size 4 diapers.
-He officially has 2 top teeth as of last week! Teething has been rough for our little guy- I didn’t think that second top tooth was ever going to break through. Hopefully the worst of it is over. He hasn’t drooled much at all surprisingly but runs a low grade fever, is fussy, and just doesn’t like cutting teeth. Understandable and must get his pain tolerance from his Mommy.
-Boone had such a special first Christmas and Santa was very good to him! And speaking of Christmas, I’m aware that Boone is in holiday diapers in these pictures (and no, these are not old pictures- they were taken yesterday). Second child problems. But he doesn’t seem to mind!
I am so excited that it’s Friday and ready for a low-key yet productive weekend. We don’t have any big plans but I have a few house projects I want to tackle and need to make a trip to The Container Store. I’m trying to keep myself off Pinterest so I won’t go too crazy with organizing but something about a new year makes me want to purge/clean out all the things. Anyone else?
We finally have living room furniture that I will be showing y’all soon. It’s nice to finally watch TV on a couch and not the floor! I see lots of snuggles in that spot with the boys in my future.
Have the best weekend!
height: 27 1/2 inches (78th percentile)
weight: 19 lb. 10 oz. (84th percentile)
head circumference: 17 3/4 inches (91st percentile)
Oh Baby Boone, how are you already 6 months old?! Time has flown like no other and I feel so emotional that your "half birthday" has come and gone. It feels like just yesterday we were stalling on going to the hospital, eating Chick Fil A in the kitchen mid-contractions and completely clueless just how full our hearts would be a mere 7 hours later. You have filled our home with so much love, laughter, and joy- you are the sweetest baby and we are all completely obsessed with you. You think your brother is hilarious and laugh at him at least 50 times a day- it's the cutest thing and Bear definitely enjoys it, too. We are thankful for how laid-back and easy going you are since it's been a wild ride the past 6 months, but you have managed to make it the best spring and summer yet. We love you, Boone Thomas.
Things to remember:
-You LOVE sweet potatoes. They are your literal jam. You'll eat pretty much anything though- avocado, squash, zucchini, pumpkin, bananas...you don't always love it but you'll chow down on anything we give you.
-You belly laugh at almost anything Bear does. You think it's funniest when he burps- you crack up uncontrollably and soon we're all laughing with you.
-You are in size 4 diapers and 9-12 month clothes. You're a big boy!
-You will go anywhere, happily. Church, the mall, lunches with the ladies- you're in it to win it. You just sit and smile and take it all in- Mommy is lucky that you let her keep doing these things with you in tow!
-Sleeping is still our struggle. You go down at 9pm every night and are up around 12am to eat, and 2-3 more times throughout the night. You just eat and go right back to sleep, but you rarely make it more than a 3-4 hour stretch without wanting to eat. I get that (I'm a snacker, too), but still hoping you will snooze a little longer stretch soon.
-You love the water like your brother- we took you to the pool a couple weeks ago and you stayed in the water (in the shade) the whole time! You were even kicking those chubby little thighs, Baby Phelps.
-Your Charlie Crane Paris rocker is still your favorite and where you choose to take the majority of your naps during the day. I tell everyone who asks that that thing is a splurge but so worth it!
I really hope the next 6 months don't pass as quickly as the last because I will for sure be crying on Boone's first birthday. Pretty sure I was already planning Bear's first birthday by now but I'll be in denial until a few days before this time around, no doubt, so Boone may not get quite the extravaganza that Bear did. Pretty sure he won't care either way...but then again neither did Bear. :)
Hope you all had a fun and safe Labor Day Weekend!